what can I put in my grey recycling bin?
- Paper and cardboard
- All types of newspapers
- Magazines & catalogues
- Junk mail (without the plastic wrapping)
- Clean wrapping paper (without adhesive tape, ribbons and glitter)
- Clean cardboard
- Food and drink cans – rinsed out
- Empty aerosol cans
- Plastic bottles – milk, squash, shampoo, washing up liquid, detergent etc.
- Plastic food pots, tubs & trays including yoghurt pots, margarine tubs and meat & fruit/vegetable trays
- Glass bottles and jars
- Food and drink cartons including juice, soup, milk & smoothies containers
- Aluminium foils and trays
- Shredded paper and envelopes including those with windows
Please note: Please rinse all plastics and cans out before recycling them in your grey bin and please do not put your recyclables in bin liners
what can’t I put in my grey recycling bin?
Please take these to your nearest recycling site
- Plastic or foil based wrapping paper with adhesive tape, ribbon and glitter
- Plastic bags, food wrapping and film
- Crisp & sweet packets
- Garden waste
Please do not place garden waste in either your green or grey bin
- Food waste
- Liquid waste
- Unopened recyclable items still containing food or liquids
- Other unwanted household products
- Bin bags that were not collected the week before
Please note: placing the wrong items in your recycling bin contaminates not only your bin, but also the whole vehicle load collected that day.
Where evident contamination has occurred, our contractors will not collect your recycling bin and you will be asked to remove the contaminating items before your next collection.
Once collected, all recyclables will go to a sorting facility in Costessey to be separated and then recycled
what can’t I put in my green rubbish bin?
- Stones or brick rubble
- DIY material
- Paint / chemicals or oil
- Hot ashes – including BBQ ash
- Commercial / industrial waste
- Poisonous or noxious waste
- Clinical Waste – a free service is provided for this
See household clinical waste page for details
- Garden Waste – a chargeable service is provided for this
See the garden waste page for details
- Scrap metal